So… you’re only half crazy.
I ran my first half marathon a few months ago – I’m pretty much a race noob, so I learned a lot. Here’s a few things I discovered.
- As much as you don’t want to, practice hills. Race courses are sometimes unpredictable (especially if you don’t do much research…)
- Hydrate. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Then hydrate some more.
- Warm up before the race! I mean it! Jog a bit, stretch, etc. It will make a difference.
- Try breathing techniques to get you through the hard moments. I like to take two short breaths through my nose and one longer breath out. It can help you keep track of your pace too.
- Ground yourself in something that inspires you. Mine was “I never thought I could do this. Now look at me. Look at me!!!” I only cried tears of joy three times.
- Don’t give up. Walk if you need to. Shit, stop & take a 5 minute break if that’s what it takes. But seriously, don’t give up. You got this!